Instagram Pods: Real vs Fake

Instagram Pods: Real vs Fake

We’ve all seen the controversy between whether people believe being in an Instagram pod is ‘fake engagement’ or ‘real engagement’. Sure enough, the debate can be argued with valid points for both sides.. at the end of the day I honestly think it’s down to the user within the pods, and this is why..

What are they?

For those of you who don’t have a single clue what I’m talking about, Instagram Pods are group chats consisting of up to 15 bloggers in each chat. Every time a blogger posts on Instagram, the chat is alerted and each member likes/comments on that photo. Let me tell you, it is bloody brilliant for engagement – that good that I Included it in my ‘Favourite Blogging Tools’ post!

Currently, I’m in various Instagram pods but the majority of them aren’t completely full. It is a lot of work to keep up with everybody’s posts, but I can honestly say that I love keeping up to date as everyone within the pods inspires me with their content. I’ve met so many lovely people through them and we now also support each other on different social media’s such as twitter.

What do people think about them?

So, where’s the negativity in all of this then? Well, from an outsiders point of view, we are merely liking and commenting on other people’s photo’s a little bit like robots, and that’s surely as bad as buying engagement right? NO!! As long as you are in a pod with like minded people, it is definitely not a chore to like their photo’s. Sometimes, I even find myself liking peoples photo’s and commenting before they post in to the chat!! I’ve found so many idea’s and taken so much inspiration from these accounts that I love being informed when they’re posting. Due to the nature of the photo’s, I also find it incredibly easy to comment on their pictures as it’s something I would usually express an interest in anyway!

I can completely understand why people think Pods are fake engagement if the users are posting completely different content or purely in them for the likes (which is so wrong but most likely happens), however all I have ever experienced from Pods is engagement with so many lovely people and tonnes of inspiration – what’s so bad about that?! I would also like to add that, in the Pods I am involved with, we also chat to each other and ask questions to help each other within the community – so it’s not all about liking someone’s pictures!!

I’m not going to lie and tell you this post isn’t biased, because I’m most definitely in favour of supporting other blogger’s through Instagram Pods. I think it’s important to remember before shaming somebody that’s in a pod, to understand why they are in it!

Are any of you in a Pod? Let me know what you think about it all!

Love,
S x

Insta pods
insta engagement.png
Share:

14 Comments

1. August 17, 2017 / 4:06 pm

I joined an instagram pod but left it after a couple of days. Only a handful of people engaged with new content and comments would be ‘cool’ or ‘great’, nothing genuine. I’m sure that there are other pods that are a lot better but for now I like my engagement to be genuine!
    Lois x

2. August 17, 2017 / 4:08 pm

Really interesting post, certainly thought provoking! I am not a member of any pods for Instagram at the moment because like you say, it’s quite hard to keep up and I just can’t commit to it right now! However, I am in a number of blog comment pods on Twitter which I absolutely adore as everyone is so supportive and it’s great to share the love for fellow bloggers! I am totally for using pods if you enjoy them!

Abbey 😘 http://www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

3. Kayleigh Zara
    August 17, 2017 / 4:13 pm

I can totally understand this I’ve been in one really amazing Instagram pod but I don’t use Instagram enough to keep up with everyone else! X

Kayleigh Zara 🌿www.kayleighzaraa.com

4. August 17, 2017 / 4:20 pm

Hi, I joined a couple of pods and have discovered some great bloggers as a result. As they are small it is easy to keep up to date, so they work for me, Chloe.

5. August 17, 2017 / 4:29 pm

I really like being in a pod — if you find a good one, it’s like instant community for bloggers! And I do find myself liking what my fellow pod members post. If I didn’t, I’d probably look for a new pod!

xx
    Emily
    emilyhallock.blogspot.com

6. SaarBlogs
    August 17, 2017 / 4:39 pm

I’m not in a pod, but I would like to – I do agree with you that pods will be made by the people in it 🙂

7. August 17, 2017 / 4:42 pm

Really interesting post, I’ve not joined any instagram pods and I didn’t even hear about them until today when I saw someone on Facebook talking about creating one! This post has really cleared up for me what they are and I think if I found one suitable I’d consider joining one, like you said it’s not a chore if you already enjoy the content x

8. August 17, 2017 / 4:52 pm

I really enjoyed reading this post and can definitely see both sides. I’m in instagram pods and the people in the pods are people I would engage with happily anyway, I’ve found some great blogs and great people through them.

Kristy | http://www.thevioletblonde.com

9. August 17, 2017 / 7:19 pm

I think this is a really interesting post and topic! I only consider it fake when someone is faking a comment for example someone commented for the sake of it! However I totally agree that if you’re in a group with like minded people then it’s perfect! xo

Hanney | http://www.blogabouthanney.com

10. August 23, 2017 / 1:27 pm

I actually found that after the first few months, pods were detrimental to my engagement. It seemed Instagram picked up on it, and I started to lose engagement from new/real followers/potential foloowers. Since deleting them all, my numbers are on the rise again 🙂

• August 23, 2017 / 1:38 pm

Interesting comment, I have been super happy with them however on my latest post I have had less than half of the engagement I usually get on my posts!! None of my hashtags have worked which is a shame as that drives new people through to my instagram! I do have my suspicions that it could be down to the pods as I often like and comment in clumps at a time so this may seem *spammy* in instagrams ridiculous way of working! I will definitely be having a think about them thank you for your comment!