On Sunday I turned 21, and whilst nursing an adult-headache all day I was thinking about what the last 21 years have brought me.. think Jager Bombs, cringey photos and lots of life lessons. Here’s 21 things I’ve learnt in 21 years:
This post was inspired by the gorgeous Beth Sandland.
1. Don’t spend over 5 minutes worrying about something that won’t matter in 5 years. There is not enough time to be stressing over things you won’t remember in the future. Have a two minute sulk and move on!
2. Trying to please everyone will only make you miserable. Be yourself and you will attract the right kind of people you want in your life.
3. No matter how much of a state you’re in, always take your makeup off.
4. Always try to say yes. It’s much better to try something and it not work out than to live a life of ‘What ifs’ because you didn’t have the balls to go for it.
5. Self-care is important. Whether it’s treating yourself to a lush bath, a dominos pizza, a pamper night or just some time to chill. You’ll thank yourself for it.
6. ‘Friends’ that don’t celebrate your success are not your friends. Neither are those who make no effort to see you. You’ll soon realise who actually cares and who’s there for the sake of it. Get rid of those toxic friends. Bye Felicia.
7. Positive mental attitude always. Nobody likes a bitter lemon.
8. For the love of god, check, double check and triple check you’ve taken the label off the bottom of your new shoes.
9. Take the nap.
10. Listening to Adele and sobbing along to ‘Someone Like You’ will make you feel better.
11. Dream matte mousse, foundation lips, too much blush and blue mascara isn’t a good look.
12. Work hard, party harder.
13. University does not define you. There is no right or wrong choice when you decide on University and you shouldn’t feel ashamed for not going. You can get very far with and without a degree.
14. Don’t be fooled with IKEA easy furniture. Four hours later you’ll have finished your table and you’ll be wondering why there’s screws left over even though you swear you followed the manual word by word.
15. Men are always wrong.
16. And men, don’t argue with women. You’ve already lost before you’ve started.
17. Don’t squeeze in to size 8 jeans because you’re too stubborn to move up a size. It’s not the end of the world. However much you don’t want to buy the bigger size, it will look so much better. Moving up sizes is just part of growing up.
18. Everything happens for a reason. When one door shuts, another door opens it’s only a matter of time. When something doesn’t work out don’t stress, it usually ends up being for the best.
19. No matter what anybody says, you can never have too many clothes. Or shoes.. handbags and makeup.
20. Taking a plug out and leaving the switch on is the act of satan. WHYYYYY?!?
21. There is nothing more rewarding than helping other people. It may not be a big deal for you but it could mean the absolute world for them.
So there we have it – 21 things I’ve learnt in 21 years! Can you relate to any of these?